Matt Tries to Write a Novel

I am attempting to write a novel. Here I'll post the story as it comes, as well as some of my thoughts regarding the experience. Enjoy the ride, and offer feedback, please.

21.1.05

grad school essay

This is a rought draft of an essay for my application to UNO's MA of Sociology program. I had no idea what to write when I wrote it, and still don't have much of a clue. Any criticism/comments/editing you have to offer would be gladly accepted. email me or leave a comment

My desire to pursue an MA in Sociology is a culmination of a life-long interest in history. This interest first took an anthropological turn early in my undergraduate studies, as I investigated and grew to love the panorama of human cultures. Since then, a growing interest in the social structures that mold the human experience has taken primacy in my academic pursuits. More specifically, I am deeply intrigued by the formation of individual and group identity.
In this MA program, I see an avenue to pursue my academic interests in such fields as philosophy, linguistics, history and politics, religion and culture, while directing these pursuits toward practical application. I have a strong interest in, and a passion for action regarding such issues as interpersonal understanding, racial reconciliation, and justice for the underprivileged/oppressed.
I believe I would add value to the Sociology department, as well. I have a unique perspective to share due to my undergratuate education in a small evangelical Bible university, and my vocational experiences as a clergyman working in the university setting. Also, I have an ardent desire for learning, as is demonstrated in my academic record, and my personal reading during schooling and since graduation. This desire for learning has helped me avoid bigotry and narrow-mindedness while developing strong and well-informed convictions.
I look forward to the opportunity of furthering my formal education in sociology at UNO. New Orleans is my new home, and is a great place to investigate the workings of society with its distinct cultural heritage, obvious social conflicts, and real need for justice on the social level. This program will be a formative experience in my personal and educational development, and I hope that I will be a real asset to UNO's Sociology department.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger 8rent said…

    Aside from the undergratuate sic, this looks like a good Matt DeGier teaser. ;) --b.

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    thanks B
    as for what is the question? i don't know. that's part of the problem. the question is, why shoud you let me study sociology at your school? i guess.
    that's kinda what i tried to answer

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads