Matt Tries to Write a Novel

I am attempting to write a novel. Here I'll post the story as it comes, as well as some of my thoughts regarding the experience. Enjoy the ride, and offer feedback, please.

11.12.04

books of the month

Last month I read East of Eden by Steinbeck, and Recapture the Wonder by Raavi Zacharias. Partnered with my current reading of Exclusion & Embrace by Miroslav Volf, I have had a profound interest in the Genesis saga. I'm reading through Genesis in The Message paraphrase for the first time. There is so much raw literary power in these narratives. The current construction of my faith sees it as real history, but not literal history. The impact of these stories is so big that I feel less and less need to worry about the depth of their actual historicity. Not that I don't care if it's pure myth or pure history, but that it really doesn't matter that much. However, if there was no historicity to it, I would never have given it the time and energy I have. The narratives communicate God and ourselves to us, but if none of it was real, than it could just as easily be a made up god and humanity that they are communicating.
I hope I made sense in what I just typed. I'm a little fuzzy headed, and my hip muscles are a bit in spasm, and I'm slightly hurried. Sorry for the whining.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger 8rent said…

    Just a thought on myth and history and I'll be on my way...

    One needn't create the dichotomy between myth and history. All accounts of creation are mythology, even ancient Hebrew accounts in the Bible, some of which being historically verified, are considered myth. In my opinion, to split ancient accounts between cold, raw history and enchanted, ethereal myth is a form of Western historical isogesis, placing our subjective and hyper-rational point-of-view on ancient 'fuzzy' or 'spooky' accounts of gods and spirits, faith and rejection, blahblahblah. It's not fair to the faith practice which it criticizes, nor does it do us any justice to reduce either way.

    Sometimes amazing and supernatural things collide with everyday life. These are the things mythology is made of.

    A nod and a salute to you, M. DeGier,
    --b.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads