Matt Tries to Write a Novel

I am attempting to write a novel. Here I'll post the story as it comes, as well as some of my thoughts regarding the experience. Enjoy the ride, and offer feedback, please.

13.11.04

hopeless optimism strikes again

I'm currently reading East of Eden by Steinbeck. He writes a good story. He does what I like best in a novel: character development. The characters are deep, full, and very well developed.

I had just finished Section 1 of the book, and was wrestling with the deeply entrenched evil in Cathy and Charles. I was thinking about why I get so frustrated with such characters in a story. The reason is that I constantly long for redemption at every turn. This tendency becomes very apparent when I read a good story or watch a good movie, because of the focus on a small number of characters, and that most stories are a microcosm of real life magnified into the veiw of the reader/viewer.

My life is completely focused on the idea of redemption. I refuse to believe in fate, unforgiveness, or incorrigibility. I cling to hope at all times, that all men, all women, all children can be redeemed, remade, reborn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads