Matt Tries to Write a Novel

I am attempting to write a novel. Here I'll post the story as it comes, as well as some of my thoughts regarding the experience. Enjoy the ride, and offer feedback, please.

8.11.04

November is Here

Well, the election came and went. I was proud to exercise my civic right/duty. I felt I cast the most informed votes of my brief voting career (the third time I've ever voted). The choices were less than stellar in most of the elections, and my third-party revolution failed miserably, but I am glad to have played my part in the national and local electoral scene. I look forwar to increased political involvement over the next four years.

I'm also looking forward to reading The Politics of Jesus, which I am ordering from Amazon.com today. I applied for a credit card and they're giving my $30 in free books! Woot!
Book 2 of that purchase is scheduled to be Mirsoslav Volf's Exclusion and Embrace, unless I get disctracted by Cornel West's Race Matters.

Speaking of Reading, here's my list of October reading:

A Generous Orthodoxy Brian McLaren
Blue Like Jazz Donald Miller
Foucalt's Pendulum Umberto Eco

I've already written a bit of my reaction to McLaren. I am looking forward to grabbing a copy of Miller's new book soon. He writes in a very entertaining style, and makes astute observations in a clean, clear, and crisp manner. Eco is heavy reading.

The interesting thing about Foucalt's Pendulum is how I see it as the culture from which The DaVinci Code was born. I had heard a lot about Eco, so decided to pick up one of his novels from the local library. I saw the name Foucalt, and thought it had something to do with the French philosopher. I was wrong. But, it seemed quite clear to me, from the very beginning, that Dan Brown read this late 80's release, and decided to plug it into his American, Indiana Jones arch-type formula. The result was the run-away best seller The DaVinci Code.

Kudos to Brown for picking Eco's dense novel over for the foundation of his two Robert Langdon novels. He's made a lot of money (a lot more than Eco made on Pendulum), and had to do a fraction of the work. I just think it's sad how eager Americans are for a novel that says Jesus has no relevance to their lives. The novel they chose to worship is a formula novel to the core, with little real scholarship, and no creativity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads