Matt Tries to Write a Novel

I am attempting to write a novel. Here I'll post the story as it comes, as well as some of my thoughts regarding the experience. Enjoy the ride, and offer feedback, please.

17.3.05

hotel rwanda

Why is Christianity in America struggling with questions of Relevance?

Have you gone to see Hotel Rwanda yet?

If you have not, and it is still showing in your city, you must see it!

I went to see this movie with a handful of XA students last night. Several of us wanted to learn more about the genocide that occurred in Rwanda after developing a great friendship with Paulin (Rwandan MPH student at Tulane) last semester. I did not expect to be moved as I was, as I had just recently done some more thorough research, and have been fairly knowledgeable about the massacre.

I watched most of the movie slightly on edge (it is a well acted and written movie) from the tension, and in mild shock. I was moved to tear a little at one point, but felt basically numb. Then the movie ended with the end of the genocide, and a picture, ever-so-brief, of hope and love. At the time, I did not understand why I broke into sobs. I have not cried like this since reading Cry The Beloved Country in highschool, and then in 2000, when my friend Matt VanRyn was killed in a terrible auto accident. My head still hurts from sobbing and shaking.

I prayed things like "Please take me out of this world that can do such things." I am terrified by the realization that I am a part of the world system that fosters, and turns a blind eye such things. I feel powerless, but powerlessness can be a consolation. I see now that what broke my emotions was the face of hope. I believe that I can make a difference, and that I must make a difference, but I don't know how. I hope for the Kingdom of God to come in peace and justice, but I am lost for what to do in that hope. Hope can bring rejoicing, but hope can bring sorrow. I wept in the face of humanity's evil, because I have hope that it can be defeated. If I had no hope, I would remain consoled and numb in my powerlessness.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Brett Berger said…

    I can appreciate this. I have not seen the movie yet, but I have been broken by alot of the same/similar issues lately. I have mostly felt powerless, but [you're right] is the hope of a better world that makes it hurt.

    I have realized that, while I hope to work toward solutions in more tangible ways in the future, prayer is an effectual way to see change happen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads