Matt Tries to Write a Novel

I am attempting to write a novel. Here I'll post the story as it comes, as well as some of my thoughts regarding the experience. Enjoy the ride, and offer feedback, please.

24.7.04

mexico

I'm leaving for Mexico in 4 or so hours.
Weird.
This is the first time I've been out of the country in 6 years, and only the second time in my life, but I don't feel any anxiety at all, and really don't feel all that excited. Maybe it's because I know I'm going to be working seriously hard while I'm there, or am balanced between excitement and dread. Excitement at what can be accomplished at the orphanage we're visiting and within the team from Chi Alpha New Orleans (www.nolaxa.com). Dread at leading into the unknown. I've grown more confident as a leader in settings I am comfortable in, but still get really unsettled outside of those settings. If you're the praying type, I'd be grateful for a petition on my behalf.

Oh, and if you're reading this and are not a close friend--like, you just happened upon this blog or something, would you indulge my vanity and leave me a comment sometime? I'm curious to see if anyone's at all interested in what I have to say, that is, beyond those people who are interested in me as a person they are in relationship with.

Auf Wiedersehen.
...yea, practicing spanish has brought back to mind my high school german. ironic, eh?

7 Comments:

  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Etienne said…

    Stumbled here looking up profiles of fellow bloggers into mysticism. Could think of all sorts of arguments from Scripture, Mishna and the Church Fathers that would contradict your hopelessly optimistic understanding of Divinity, but I won't: what would be the fun in that? Job and Koheleth illustrate the notion of existential suffering well enough by depicting ontological evil as standing alone and outside of human causality.

    Good luck in Mexico.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Bro its your sister I want to talk to you when you get back. Hope you have a blast in mexico.

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ex Nihilo: thanks for your comments.
    I must be hopelessly optimistic, there's no other way for me. I'm a romantic, I believe the impossible--what good is faith unless it's outside the possible?
    I figured I would be called out on this by someone somewhere, and I have not yet fully developed the worldview behind it; there are definite holes. Part of my explanation is that I see the real presence and influence of non-human free-agents in the universe at work opposing and perverting good everywhere they can. Greg Boyd's God at War explains some of this quite well.

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    no I am reading, and I care about what you have to say. A little weird and at times I don't understadn or follow, but I am reading.

     
  • At 1:39 AM, Blogger 8rent said…

    Know what I absolutely lo-o-ove? People who like to string together big words in the hopes that the density of a statement transcends the comprehension of said statement. There's a difference between being smart and being a smartass: truly smart people use their smarts to 1) educate others (or at the very least speak in understandable language although concepts still run the risk of being misunderstood,) and 2) veer clear of intellectual snobbery/elitism. Guess where Ex N ends up?

     
  • At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't get it? Are you downing Nilo or whatever his name was who I completely forgot about, or Matt?
    Whis is the smarte and who is the smart***?

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Matt, I share your optimism and I feel that negativity brings us no where. Keep looking up the Lord doesn't want negativity to drag us down our journey.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads