Matt Tries to Write a Novel

I am attempting to write a novel. Here I'll post the story as it comes, as well as some of my thoughts regarding the experience. Enjoy the ride, and offer feedback, please.

29.8.04

a minor annoyance

I was reading in Relevant Magazine the other day and someone made this statement that has finally got on my nerves. All of these Christian folks who like to call themselves progressive keep talking about how silly The Passion of the Christ was. It's like they are ashamed of a stunning portrayal of Jesus's suffering. The Relevant Article said that the movie seemed to be saying that violence was somehow good.
Hello? Do we follow the same Jesus? The violence against the Messiah was terrible, as the movie shows, yet it accomplished great good; it accomplished the completion of God's wrath against, basically, His own Self, rather than against humanity. We often call it atonement. Salvation, forgiveness of sin, eternal life, renewal and redemption--it's all available through the suffering and resurrection of Jesus.
Now, was the movie all that some prominent evangelical leaders were pumping it up to be: one of the greatest evangelistic tools/opportunities in history? By no means, was it such a thing. The portrayal is accurate for what it intended to be; nothing more and nothing less than a breath-takinlgy realistic reenactment of the suffering of the Messiah. This story makes little sense to those outside of the circle of devoted; i.e. well informed, followers. The violence is not explained. However, the portrayal should have a profound effect on the follower of Jesus. Remember his sufferings is the call of the Mass/Eucharist/Communion. This is one of the foundations of the Christian faith.
Will the movie ever enter my DVD library? Not likely. My list of favorite flicks? No. It's too heavy to be viewed regularly, or for me, maybe even more than once. However, it was not a silly movie, nor was it an insignificant event in our culture. Why don't the progressives shut up and make some progress somewhere?
As I said, I'm minorly annoyed. It's a lot of silliness that sounds like embarassment at the suffering of Jesus--not a very progressive Christian sentiment in my book.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree. I don't think I could watch the movie like all the time, like you could watch any regular flick. I am not even sure how some people saw it so many times on the big screen. I had a couple of friends that went to see it alot. Before I had seen the movie they would decribe the movie in such excitement, like they had seen the greatest James Bond movie ever.
    I saw it, I thought about it, but I am not sure I can see that again. I mean at least not right now. I just don't want to see it for the purposes of just seeing it. It felt so odd after the movie was over to be kicked out of the movie theatre for being in there too long, and then get in a car and go home. I just wanted to sit afterwards, and be alone with God.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads