Matt Tries to Write a Novel

I am attempting to write a novel. Here I'll post the story as it comes, as well as some of my thoughts regarding the experience. Enjoy the ride, and offer feedback, please.

21.9.04

part 1 of III

in church Sunday, a series of events and thoughts led me to jot down 3 struggles in my faith and intellect:

1: I struggle with Christian Triumphalism.
2: I struggle with the idea of a static God.
3: Did Jesus die to vindicate God's law or to restore broken humanity?

Today, I wrote a response to #1:

I believe wholeheartedly in the total and complete triumph of God over evil, and in the impending doom of "the world" at Jesus's soon coming return and judment. Jesus is the winner of that victory, and the judge that will enact the required destruction on the Day of Justice.
I follow Jesus as one rescued from the doom of judgment; resting on the grace of mercy under the covering of redemption justice. I do not, however, rejoice at the destruction of the wicked, despite my hope for restoration and justice.
I do not rejoice in that doom, because Jesus does not rejoice in it, but weeps. I do not rejoice in that doom, because it is my doom--a doom I have been rescued from due to no good work of my own. I stand in humble solidarity with those to be condemned, urging and praying that they, too, might receive mercy. Jesus, also stood in humble solidarity with us, and too our doom into himself. He weeps, bleeds for the condemned.
The Kingdom of God is a subversive power, not a strong-arm tactic. My role, the role of all Christians [the Church] is to love--to love God, and to demonstrate that love in relationship to my neighbor; friend, and especially, foe; rich, and especially, poor; strong, and especially, weak. My triumph is the triumph of love over hatred and apathy; the triumph of peace over angst and war; the triumph of joy over depression and death.
The Kingdom of God is here. The Kingdom of God is triumphant. I will work to see the Kingdom reign in every way I know how. I will seek for justice and peace in politics. I will work for harmony and friendship in my neighborhood. I will work for intimacy and trust in my family. I will strive for strength and encouragment in friendships. I will pray and give and live for hope and deliverance in the world.
I will not work, nor pray to inflict my worldview on "the world" around me. I will not demand rights, but I will pray and ask for them. I will not refuse rights to others simply because they offend me, but I will try with all my understanding to work for what is best for all; a world of justice and peace where the truly wicked are condemned and all rejoice at it. Even so, Lord come!


2 Comments:

  • At 10:40 PM, Blogger Brett Berger said…

    Hey, I am glad that you stumbled onto my blog so that I could stumble right back at you.

    I am looking forward to your reflections on the next two problems. There are a couple of my friends that I have been trying to figure out why I don't feel as though I connect with at a deep level. I realized it is because they don't "yearn." I can't identify with them because I don't perceive any yearning in them. Here...Here I find yearning. You and I brothers in that.

    Thy Kingdom Come

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    thanks for your comments. the are both, well, flattering in a way, but an encouraging way, as opposed to just ego stroking.

    "We were meant to live for so much more."
    ~switchfoot

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads