Matt Tries to Write a Novel

I am attempting to write a novel. Here I'll post the story as it comes, as well as some of my thoughts regarding the experience. Enjoy the ride, and offer feedback, please.

1.9.04

these are the hands that built america

Jen and I watched Gangs of NewYork last night. I found the movie disturbing in many ways, but insightful in a few, as well. And of course, ending with a stellar U2 song definitely helps it. It was a good movie, but I don't think it would be correct to say that I "liked" it, if that makes sense. However, it did inspire some writing, and may inspire another post if I get around to writing it before I forget. If you want that other post, nag me with comments or something, if I fail to produce, since I know there are like millions of readers out there...

Anyway, before the writing, some random news. I got myself a copy of A Grief Observed today, so I can read it again and mark it all up, rather than trying to read my friend's copy again without marking it.

On to the writing......................................

Building America

In the end, a dollar, but whose face?
These days, we call it liberty, the aim of their guns,
but who took the bullets in that name?

I am sedated,
I am unsung.

The war machine hides behind many masks,
but most readily devours the poor.
$300 will buy your boy and oil the gears.

I am easy,
I am untried.

"For the Union", "For the Reich", industry must churn on,
and whose face wins behind a smoking barrell?
Whose glee, whose grin at the flag of victory?

I am inflated,
Iam unconcerned.

The aim of their guns, and the bullts in my face--
my $300 will not be enough.
These are the hands that built America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads