Matt Tries to Write a Novel

I am attempting to write a novel. Here I'll post the story as it comes, as well as some of my thoughts regarding the experience. Enjoy the ride, and offer feedback, please.

11.10.04

current thoughts

I emailed president W, my Rep, and Senators tonight, regarding the funding of AIDS relief for the world. You can do the same at www.seekjustice.org
I still hope to put a call in to the White House regarding this issue. I've never called about something, and I'm certain that taking the effort to call communicates more to politicians than a simple email.

In the meantime, I read a Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren last week. I was challenged in one particluar area:

I follow McLaren's idea of a generous orthodoxy in many areas. I believe this train of idealogy is in the path of Jesus, the way of love, and is gracious toward the world and all who live in it, yet faithful to the Truth. McLaren challenged me in the area of generosity toward other Christians, even the majority church of America. I have journeyed a good distance from the idea of Christianity that I came up in, and have ventured away from Foundationalist thinking in some areas. However, I still struggle with "right" and "wrong". It's so natural for me to think that God has led me away from what is "wrong" in the majority church and into what is "right". Of course, this is a seriously exclusivist thought. It's arrogant and repugnant.

I have wondered and wandered around Christianity because of arrogance and exlusivism, and in my reactions, have become reactionary to a certain extent. I readily admit that I do not have it all put together. I still have much to learn from brothers and sisters of the more Fundementalist strains of Jesus's followers, but more often feel that I have something to teach them.

Granted, some of my angst grows from feeling excluded myself. If some people knew my views on politics, theology, and the art of doing church--how I wander from the standard Evangelical/Fundementalist/Religious-Right idealogy--I would be excluded, judged, etc... I often feel like less of a citizen of Christ's Body just listening to some folks talk, and knowing that I cannot express my heart, as it would blow up into a huge controversy. But, this is no excuse for the self-righteousness I have found lurking in my heart.

I do not know if God will be leading me back toward my roots, or continue leading me in "new" directions (yes, I still think God has been a major part of my journey), but I know the Spirit is convicting me of sin, and looking to lead me deeper into the way of love.

Lord Jesus, Son of David, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I appreciate what you’re saying here, Matt. I continually wrestle through the same feelings. I have felt the blows when I have said something controversial. Then, I've struggled with not developing a self-righteous attitude toward those who have inflicted pain. It can push me to silence and then the little I do say can make things worse.
    I like your summary of Generous Orthodoxy: "gracious toward the world and all who live in it, yet faithful to the Truth." It's not an easy place to walk, but somehow we have to keep walking that direction.
    I took interest in your earlier comment that you’re considering voting for Kerry. I'm not to that point, yet, but I'm giving serious consideration to a third party movement up here (www.christianfreedomparty.com).

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks Leon. I appreciate your comments.
    The Kerry feelings were stirred up by some political half-truths perpetrated by Bush, and an intense desire for a more ecologically safe president.
    I'm probably more likely to be an arrogant vote shirker than vote for Kerry at this point. I'm hoping to do a rant on the whole election, where I just argue with myself for each major candidate and the third party option. If I get time, I will. It may provide entertaining reading.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads